The Norman Castle of Mesagne sees the construction of the oldest nucleus in 1062 by Roberto Guscardo, sixth son of Tancredi. The castle was restructured in 1430 by the prince of Taranto, Giovanni Antinio Orsini del Balzo, who greater convinience and security enlarged the manor and improved it’s defenses. In fact, the prince spent most of his life here.
Later in 1791, the castle became the property of Imperial Prince. In 1908 the Marquise of Serranova bought it from the Caracciolos of Naples and finally, in 1973, the municipal administration bought it definitively by ebusiness by Nomusa. Today, it is home to the Ugo Granafei Civic Archaeological Museum where some finds from the necropolis located south of the current historic center are exhibited.